The Mysterious I.D. Vide in Newton’s Nemesis can be used in many ways to launch lessons about fractions. This free download is a lesson outline that uses the engaging story to introduce conversations about fraction division and growth mindset.
This lesson will help students explore:
- Reinforce that ⅓ of 12, ⅓ x 12, and 12 ÷ 3 can all be represented by similar models.
- Discuss how division can be thought of in different ways (equal sharing or measurement – but only equal sharing is introduced as terminology)
- Explore equal sharing to understand the meaning of ⅓ divided by a whole number.
This will allow you to download all the files and the materials you’ll need to accompany The Mysterious I.D. Vide in Newton’s Nemesis, No. 1 [Sold separately]. Files included:
- Lesson Outline – Issue No. 1 – Fraction Division & Mindset
- NN1 Notecards
- Overhead display “Leah’s Homework”
- Overhead display “Can You Divide a Third?”