The Mysterious I.D. Vide in Newton’s Nemesis can be used in many ways to launch lessons about fractions. This free download is a lesson outline that uses the engaging story to introduce conversations about fraction multiplication, scaling recipes, and more.
This lesson will help students explore:
- Statements such as 4 groups of ⅓ , can be represented as 4 x ⅓ or as the sum of ⅓ + ⅓ + ⅓ + ⅓ or as 4/3 (read as four thirds).
- Dividing a whole number by a unit fraction (e.g. 8 ÷ ¼ = 8 x 4).
- Compare the operations of multiplication and division of unit fractions.
- Reflect on growth or mathematical mindset.
This will allow you to download all the files and the materials you’ll need to accompany The Mysterious I.D. Vide in Newton’s Nemesis, No. 2 [Sold separately] or The Mysterious I.D. Vide in Newton’s Nemesis, The Graphic Novel . Files included:
- Lesson Outline NN2 Fraction Division by Measurement
- NN2 Entrance & Exit Tickets (Worksheet & Classroom Display)
- Baking Brownies Activity (Handouts & Classroom Display